Different yogic texts have different opinions on the practice of amaroli kriya.
Hatha Yoga Pradipika in accordance with the Khandakapalika sect (a Shaiva sect) considers amaroli as the practice of drinking the midstream of urine. However, Shiva Samhita mentions that amaroli is the practice of withdrawing the seminal fluid by the male from the female after it has been released during the act of maithuna (sexual intercourse).
But this practice of withdrawing the seminal fluid is also described as Vajroli in Hatha Yoga Pradipika. Therefore, the first definition of Amaroli will be accepted and explained in this article.
According to classical texts on Hatha Yoga –
“Discard the beginning of the stream of water because it has too much bile. Discard the end of the stream because it is worthless. Wholly enjoy the cool, middle stream. This is Amaroli in the opinion of the Khandakapalikas.(A Shaiva Sect)” .
“One who drinks amari every day by drawing it through the nose practices Vajroli correctly. This is called Amaroli.” 
In the text called Damara Tantra, amaroli is also called as shivambu kalpa vidhi. The meaning of shivambu (it has various meanings) in this context is “urine”, and kalpa is “to revitalize” and vidhi is “process” or “technique”. Therefore, overall the term can mean “the practice of using urine to regenerate the body” .
In the text, there are 108 verses devoted to amaroli. The following are a few excerpts from the text:
- “A sensible man gets up early in the morning when three quarters of the night has passed (about 3 or 4 o’clock) faces the east and passes urine.” 
- “The initial and concluding flow of urine is to be discarded. The intermediate flow is to be consumed. This is the most suitable method” .
Amaroli is also mentioned in the ayurvedic text like Sushruta Samhita.
Description of Amaroli
Generally, seasoned practitioners of amaroli claim that a lot of ailments can be cured with urine therapy. For an absolute beginner of this practice, it is urged that an open mind be kept on this subject.
The main concept behind amaroli is that urine contains important minerals like urea, creatinine (protein), uric acid, amino nitrogens sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium and enzymes, hormones, trace elements. Most of these are important or essential substances for maintaining the body and can be recycled by consuming urine.
Hence, the main focus here is recycling or re-consumption of the minerals and hormones lost through urination.
Warning: Throughout all accounts in verifiable sources for this therapy, it is advised that this practice be done under the supervision of an expert.
For someone practicing for the first time, he has to overcome his fear or phobia of urine. It is advised that this fear be overcome gradually . Certain steps to overcome this fear are mentioned as:
- Washing hands in urine
- After a few days washing body parts with urine
- Eventually (after more weeks) washing the whole body with urine
- It is advised that after the above steps you should wash with water
Slowly as you get comfortable washing with urine, you can put a drop of it on your tongue. This is one of the few steps before you can actually consume a glass full of urine.
Procedure for Amaroli
Amaroli is advised to be practiced along with balanced, simple, and vegetarian food. This is to make sure that the body remains free from toxins. The following are the important steps and rules for performing amaroli:
- One should avoid the intake of processed foods, meat, salt, starches, spices and junk foods. Instead the diet should contain good amounts of fruits and vegetables.
- In the early morning, only drink the intermediate portion of the urine . According to tradition, urine is to be consumed from an earthen or a copper vessel.
- For a healthy person, consuming urine three times a day is enough – early in the morning and then one after meals (after that time it is said that valuable enzymes are present in the urine).
- Practice has to be carried for a specific time period only. An expert will guide on the time period.
- Practitioners also report using urine for gargling to cure throat and for performing Wamootra Neti with urine to cure sinus ailments.
Jnanamava Tantra states that “After realizing the exact knowledge of dharma and adharma (healthy and unhealthy lifestyle respectively), every aspect of the (material) world becomes holy – stool, urine, nails, bone, all are holy aspects in the sight of that person who has explored mantra. O Parvati, deities (divine powers) are living in that water from which urine is made, then why is urine said to be contaminated?” (ch. 22)
- Helps to remove dirt, grease and toxins from the skin.
- Urine has osmotic and solvent action which helps to draw out impurities from skin.
- Salts from the urine can help to replace lost salts in the skin.
- Can be applied on cuts, grazes, boils, pimples, and fungus as a disinfectant.
- Urine can be used in massage to stimulate local blood circulation, remove toxins and squeeze out impurities from the skin.
- Ardent supporters of amaroli therapy consider it to be a divine nectar of life. According to them many diseases can be cured by urine like:
- High blood pressure
- Heart ailments
- General fevers and colds
- Menstrual disorders
- Intestinal diseases & many more.
- Amaroli can be used in combination with fasting to remove many types of diseases.
Amaroli is advised to be practiced along with balanced, simple, and vegetarian food. This is to make sure that the body remains free from toxins. The following are the important instructions for performing amaroli neti:
- The results from this practice are subject to anecdotal and experiential / experimental verification without substantial scientific claims to back its claims.
- This practice is to be performed under strict supervision of an expert, preferably in an ashram or clinic specializing in this therapy. Also, personal vigilance is also necessary since urine also contains harmful pathogens. One needs to understand how the body is responding to therapy and stop if any discomfort.
- For its treatment of cancer, American Cancer Society has reported “available scientific evidence does not support claims that urine or urea given in any form is helpful for cancer patients” .
- A study in Nigeria has concluded that antibiotic-resistant pathogen strains may be introduced in the body through the traditional urine therapy treatments conducted by the locals there .
- Book: A Systematic Course in the Ancient Tantric Techniques of Yoga and Kriya by Swami Satyananda Saraswati.
- Book: The Hatha Yoga Pradipika (Translated), Svatmarama (Author), Brian Dana Akers (Translator)
- Book: Damara Tantra (Text in Nagari Script with an English Translation) by Ram Kumar Rai
- Research Paper: “Urotherapy”. American Cancer Society [link]
- Research Paper: “Microbial evaluation and public health implications of urine as alternative therapy in clinical pediatric cases: health implication of urine therapy.” [link]
2 thoughts on “Amaroli Kriya – Meaning, Procedure, Benefits, Precautions”